Curiosity and wonder are the dispositions that drive Dean as a learner and educator.
His experience both as a classroom teacher for 14 years and district leader for 9, has informed his pursuit of learning as a joyful endeavour. He believes technology has the potential to amplify and transform learning. He attributes much of his knowledge to his vast and diverse personal network. Working closely with classroom teachers, principals and district leadership around the world, he pushes them to be better, all the while challenge his own thinking. He’s not afraid of hard questions and believes expertise is often hidden within organizations that requires outside voices and eyes to expose it.
He is an overly proud grandfather and father of 4. He and his wife Paula live in the quaint town of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.
- Author: Embracing a Culture of Joy (2017) Solution Tree
- Co-author with Dr. Scott McLeod: Different Schools for a Different World (2018) Solution Tree
- TEDx speaker in West Vancouver (2×0
- TEDx speaker in Saskatoon
- Keynote Speaker at the following state technology conferences: Utah, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Virginia, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, North Dakota
- Outstanding Leader of the Year, International Society of Technology in Education (ISTE), 2010