The Virginia Department of Education and its partners actively lead an innovative, state-wide professional learning network aligned to the critical competencies of the Profile of a Virginia Graduate.
Between 2019 – 2022, the VDOE is partnered with Advanced Learning Partnerships, the Virginia School Consortium for Learning and Commonwealth Learning Partnerships to support districts from all areas of Virginia. Their mission: to develop equitable and accessible local innovations that bring the Profile of the Virginia Graduate to all learners.
Each calendar year, a team of ALP coaches engages a cohort of leaders representing up to 35 divisions. Through personalized PL pathways and ongoing coaching rounds, our coaches connect with these leaders in application-based rounds to define, iterate and eventually scale solutions that meet the needs and culture of communities in every region of the Commonwealth.
Our approach to supporting the #VALIN cohorts pivoted rapidly in response to the COVID-19 crisis, two short weeks after collaboration began with the 2020 cohort. Through a combination of virtual and blended supports, the work remains stronger than ever, with teams engaged in richly innovative designs that impact over 50% of all public education systems, educators and students across Virginia.
- Over 3 years, over 600 education leaders from literally every region in Virginia will participate in the Virginia is for Learners Innovation Network.
- Over 80% of all public education divisions across the Commonwealth are anticipated to participate in this Network.
- Each cohort is united through quarterly regional events and multiple rounds of personalized coaching sessions aligned to community-based priorities and strategic goals.
- A team of student videographers has devoted 18 months to capturing and the progress of these leaders in a documentary.
- Learn more about the Virginia is for Learners Innovation Network Here